Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Boys Basketball: Owls fall to Trojans for third time, end season 20-7

Seniors come off the court in tears in the final minute of the Section 6A-South semifinal game against Ortonville Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. Ortonville advances to the Section 6A-South championship after a 58-39 win over the Owls. Brooke Kern / Stevens County Times1 / 5
Hancock senior Bennett Nienhaus draws a foul while going up for a shot in the paint during Section 6A-South semifinal action Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. Brooke Kern / Stevens County Times2 / 5
Ortonville senior DaVonte Edwards blocks the shot of Hancock senior Peyton Rohloff in the second half of Section 6A-South semifinal action Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. Brooke Kern / Stevens County Times3 / 5
Connor Reese finds his way to the hoop through the Ortonville defense in the second half of Section 6A-South semifinal action Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. Brooke Kern / Stevens County Times4 / 5
Hancock head coach Cory Bedel hugs the seniors as they come off the floor in the waning seconds of the Section 6A-South semifinal game Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. Pictured are seniors Tanner Pahl (hugging Bedel), Cole Reese (3), and Peyton Rohloff (back). Brooke Kern / Stevens County Times5 / 5

Hancock couldn't recover from a slow start and cold shooting overall as the Owl boys basketball team fell to Ortonville in the Section 6A-South semifinals on Monday, March 11, at the University of Minnesota Morris in Morris. It was the Owls' third loss of the season to the Trojans.

The Owls shot just 37 percent overall and hit just 3-of-22 three-point shots in the game. Ortonville was slightly better from deep, going 2-for-12 for 16 percent, but the Trojans didn’t need the deep ball as they connected on 53 percent from the floor overall.

Ortonville also got to the free throw line 28 times and while the Trojans hit just half of their foul shots, Hancock managed to get to the line just five times. Ortonville also out-rebounded Hancock 37-29 thanks to a 10-rebound effort from Trojan senior DaVonte Edwards.

Hancock's Bennett Nienhaus finished with a team-high 18 points in the game and 965 points in his career for the Owls, who end their season 20-7.

Connor Reese added 11 points, six rebounds and four assists while Cole Reese had eight points, eight rebounds and four assists.

The Trojans play Parkers Prairie for the Section 6A-South subsection title at 7:45 p.m. Wednesday, March 13, at UMM in Morris. No. 1 Parkers Prairie eliminated No. 4 West Central Area 61-41 in the earlier game Monday.

In the North subsection, No. 1 Henning and No. 2 Mahnomen-Waubun will meet in the subsection title. Henning beat No. 5 Hillcrest 54-52 while M-W beat No. 3 Ulen-Hitterdal 59-49 in overtime Monday, in Perham.

Ortonville 58, Hancock 39

Hancock (20-7) 16 23 — 39

ORTONVILLE (21-2) 23 35 — 58

HANCOCK - Scoring: Bennett Nienhaus 18, Connor Reese 11, Cole Reese 8, Peyton Rohloff 2 ... 3-point shots: Nienhaus 2, Connor Reese 1 ... Rebound leader: Cole Reese 8, Connor Reese 6 ... Assist leader: Cole Reese 4, Connor Reese 4 ... Steal leader: Nienhaus 2, Daniel Milander 2

ORTONVILLE - Scoring: Peter Treinen 21, Zach Kuechenmeister 10, DaVonte Edwards 9, Leo Zepeda 6, Mitchell Meyer 6, Tyson Powell 4, Jacob Hoernemann 2 ... 3-point shots: Kuechenmeister 2 ... Rebound leader: NA ... Assist leader: NA ... Steal leader: NA

Brooke Kern

Please send sports story ideas, photo submissions, and comments to bkern@stevenscountytimes.com.

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Facebook: Stevens County Times | Twitter: @SCTimesSports | Instagram: @SCTimesSports