A resident of 511 W.6th St. in Morris apparently fell asleep while cooking which started a fire at about 9:42 p.m. Tuesday, June 25, Morris Fire Chief Dave Dybdal said.

The resident did have some smoke inhalation and had left the house before firefighters arrived, Dybdal said. The house was saved, he said. The resident spent the night in a hotel and would return when air conditions were safe, Dybdal said.

The fire was a close call, Dybdal said.

"The neighbor across the street at 504 West 6th street noticed smoke coming from the windows and called 911. Good thing they did, another five minutes we would have had a working structure fire with a victim trapped inside," he said.

"When firefighters arrived heavy smoke was coming out of the main floor windows. Once inside they found a pan that had been left on the stove cooking for some time and charred the back and side walls of the kitchen area," Dybdal said. " Smoke had filled the main floor and upstairs. The pan was removed outside and positive pressure venting operations where used to clear out the house of smoke."

The fire department responded with two engines and a ladder truck. The Stevens County Ambulance Service, Morris Police and Stevens County Sheriff's Office also responded to the fire.