A building and the hay inside it were destroyed in a Dec. 29 an apparent electrical fire at the residence of John Berres in rural Alberta, Morris Fire Chief Dave Dybdal said. There were no injuries in the fire, Dybdal said.

The Morris and Hancock Fire Departments responded to the fire at 2:40 p.m. at 33198 540th Ave. in rural Alberta. The building and four semi loads of hay owned by Kevin Schafer that were inside it were fully engulfed in fire when firefighters arrived, Dybal said in an email to the Stevens County Times. The Chokio Fire Department was called to provide water. Dybdal said firefighters were on the scene for about eight hours. About 30,000 gallons of water and 70 gallons of foam were used. Firefighters also used two skid steers and a long fork mounted on a payloader to spread out the hay so the fire could be put out, Dybdal said.

The firefighters also battled below zero temperatures which caused equipment to freeze up, Dybdal said.

The Stevens County Ambulance Service was on standby at the fire.