ALEXANDRIA, Minn.-A 19-year-old woman who died in an apartment fire in Alexandria on Monday, Jan. 15 has been identified as Shandiin Goodbird of Alexandria.
The Midwest Medical Examiner's Office positively identified the woman, according to a news release issued Thursday afternoon by the Alexandria Police Department.
A preliminary autopsy indicates that the cause of death was smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide toxicity. Toxicology studies are pending and a final report will follow.
The cause of the fire, which happened at a four-unit apartment building at 410 Fillmore Street on Jan. 15, hasn't been determined.
Meanwhile, the Minnesota Red Cross is helping six other adults who were living in the apartment building. Two are recovering from burns and smoke inhalation at Regions Hospital in the Twin Cities.
The Red Cross has connected with the other four fire victims and is helping them with long-term recovery plans, according to Carrie Carlson-Guest, regional communications officer with the Minnesota Red Cross.
It was the second fatal fire in Alexandria in 11 days. The other fire happened on Jan. 5 at the Viking City mobile home park and claimed the lives of Rose Marie Couillard, 59, and "Jimmy" Chandler, Jr., 49.