Weather Forecast


Cougar men come up short in Jamestown

The University of Minnesota, Morris men's basketball team came up short against the Jamestown Jimmies in a 67-64 loss Tuesday on the road. 

Steve Birman led the way coming off the bench for 18 points on 7-of-13 shooting.

  The Cougars shot 40.7 percent from the field, including nine three pointers. RJ Dean had 14 points and Logan Orazem had 10 points as the Cougars had three players in double figures.

Mark Hoge led the way for the Jimmies with 30 points after shooting 10-of-14 from the field, including four three pointers.

  The Jimmies started the game on a 6-0 run, but the Cougars closed the gap to 8-7 just two minutes later. With 11:27 left in the half, the Cougars took their first lead of the game as Jordan Gieske made it 17-15. Jamestown tied it up at 19, but the Cougars took the lead back moments later going up 22-19 with nine minutes left in the half. The Jimmies responded by going on a 7-0 run taking a 26-22 lead.

Jamestown extended their lead to as much as six in the first half, but the Cougars stormed back going on a 12-0 run. Four different scorers, Dean, Birman, Orazem and Tyler Pendleton, helped give the Cougars a six-point lead with 3:46 left in the half. The Jimmies cut the lead to 39-37 going into the halftime break.

Fifteen seconds into the second half Jamestown hit a three pointer to take a one-point lead, but Dean responded on the next possession giving the Cougars the lead right back. The two teams battled back and forth as the Jimmies took a five-point lead with 13:17 left in the game. UMM cut the lead to one at 54-53, but Jamestown went on an 11-0 run going up 65-53 with 6:33 left. UMM battled back over the next six minutes cutting the lead to 65-64 with 36 seconds left as Dean hit a pair of free throws.

Orazem had five points and Dean had four during the Cougars' 11-0 run that brought them back in the game. Jamestown missed the front end of a one-and-one but Birman picked up his fifth foul. Jamestown gained possession and this time made both free throws extending the lead to 67-64. 

Jeremy Burns had the final chance for the Cougars, but his shot with nine seconds left came up short as the Cougars fell