Weather Forecast


Shoot-out victory puts Cougar men in championship

MORRIS, Minn. - The University of Minnesota, Morris men's soccer team found a way to win and advance in post-season play on Tuesday afternoon getting past the Northwestern Eagles 5-3 in a shootout.

The Cougars will now head to Duluth to take on St. Scholastica in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference Championship match on Saturday at 11:30 a.m.

For the second straight year Ebrima Badgie picked up the clinching penalty over Northwestern. 

Northwestern got on the board early as Joshua Wolderich headed a corner from Mark Habeck into the back of the net. It was one of just two shots on goal all match long for the Eagles.

Late in the first half  Jason Tizzano took the ball into the box and was fouled by the keeper which set up a penalty kick for Ebrima Badgie. Badgie converted and tied it up going into the break.

UMM was in control in the second half, but failed to get the ball in the back of the net. The Cougars outshot the Eagles 5-2 in the second half, but it did not matter in terms of changing the score.

Morris controlled possession again in the first overtime period falling just short on a couple of chances. In the second overtime, shots were tied at two apiece as both the Cougars and Eagles had their chances.

  In a rare move both coaches changed goal keepers going into the shootout. The Cougars put in Taylor Schertler who had not played all season long.

Mathew Bennis converted from the spot, but NWC Sam Mann missed as the Cougars took the 1-0 lead after round one. Schertler made the save for the Cougars.

In round two both Scott DeVries (UMM) and Sam Diatta (NWC) converted.

In the third round both William Wachutka (UMM) and Mark Habeck converted as UMM held the 3-2 lead.

Round four saw two more converted penalty kicks as Dylan Urban (UMM) and Gustave Aquilar-Castro made it 4-3.

Badgie had a chance to seal the win and did just that beating the keeper and sending Morris to the UMAC Championship on Saturday