Weather Forecast


Men settle for a tie to close regular-season soccer

The University of Minnesota, Morris men's soccer team had to settle for a loss and a tie to end the regular season. The Cougars lost their second straight Friday, dropping a 4-3 decision to Martin Luther, and posted a scoreless tie with Bethany Lutheran on Saturday.

The tie left the Cougars winless in their final three games to close the season, and dropped them to third in the final standings.

Martin Luther 4

UM-Morris 3

The Cougars lost two straight for the first time all season, letting a 3-2 lead slip away at Martin Luther.  UMM took a 3-2 lead into halftime after a Jeff Lind goal in the 41st minute.

Coming out of the break, the game was scoreless until the final 20 minutes, when the Knights' Nathan Gurgel scored the first of his two goals. Gurgel gave Martin Luther the tying goal in the 71st minute and the game-winner in the 84th.

Despite being held off the board in the second half, the Cougars outshot the Knights 11-8, and finished even for the match at 21 apiece. UMM held a large advantage in corner kicks at 9-2.

Bethany 0

UM-Morris 0

The Cougars had to settle for a scoreless tie with host Bethany Lutheran, as the two teams played to a 0-0 draw after double overtime.

The Cougars opened the game by outshooting the Vikings 6-0 in the first half, but were left with nothing to show for it on the scoreboard as all three shots on goal were snapped up.

The Cougars had their chances early, with the first of four first-half corner kicks coming just five minutes into the match.  The Viking defense was up to the task preventing quality shots.

UMM finished with a 7-1 edge on corners in the match, with Bethany Lutheran getting their lone attempt in the second overtime.

After the Cougars' big edge in shots in the first half, the tables turned in the second, and the UMM defense was forced to step up as Bethany outshot the Cougars 9-3 in the period.  Despite the disparity, each team finished with just one shot on goal in the second half.

With three shots, Matt Johnson led the Cougars, as he also recorded two of their four shots on goal. Tyler Simpson went the distance in the net, bouncing back from a rough day to record his seventh shutout.