Weather Forecast


Cougar men hang on to 2nd in UMAC

The University of Minnesota, Morris men's soccer team split a pair of road games, but hang on to second place in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference.

UMM falls to 9-5-3 on the season and 8-3-1 in UMAC action.

Despite the loss, the Cougars maintain a three-point cushion in second place, ahead of third-place Northwestern. However, they are now mathematically eliminated from the race for the 2010 UMAC regular season title, which St. Scholastica wrapped up.

The top-two seeds get to stay at home in the first round of the UMAC tournament on Nov. 2, and the Cougars can lock up the No. 2 seed this weekend when they travel to Martin Luther and Bethany Lutheran. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. on Friday and 12 p.m. on Saturday.

UM-Morris 1

Northwestern 0

The Cougars notched a 1-0 win over Northwestern Friday, breaking a scoreless tie midway through the second half.

The game went scoreless into the intermission, and for nearly 20 minutes coming out of the break as shots were at a premium. The Cougars had just two shots in each half to finish with four, while Northwestern managed only seven from their offense.

Matt Vik got the one that counted for the Cougars, as he took a Dustin Lee pass and slipped it past the Eagle goalkeeper for the deciding score at the 62:37 mark.

The win for the Cougars is a little payback, as the Eagles came into Morris and handed the Cougars a 1-0 loss back in September.

Tyler Weber got the start in net for the Cougars, and stopped all four shots he saw to record the win. 

Crown 3

UM-Morris 1

The Cougars lost a 3-1 match on the road Saturday, as Crown scored twice in the final 10 minutes for the win.

The host Storm got on the board early in the first, scoring at just the 11- minute mark. Play had been down in the Storm zone not long before, when in the seventh minute, the Cougars took their first of six corner kicks on the day. But as play shifted back down the field, Crown was able to capitalize.

Shots were relatively even in the first half, with the Cougars holding the slight edge at 8-6. The UMM pressure paid off later in the half, when Greg Borchers tied the match at the 39:38 mark. It was the third goal of the season for Borchers, moving him into a tie for third in the team standings.

The two teams took the 1-1 score into halftime, and out of the break the Cougars turned up the pressure. UMM outshot Crown 10-2 in the second - and ended with an 18-8 advantage in the game - but just one landed on net as they struggled to come back.

Meanwhile, the Storm made the most of their limited chances, as their only two shots went for scores. Still tied late in the match, Crown scored in the 83rd and 90th minutes for the final 3-1 decision.

Crown improves to 5-10-2 and 4-6-1.