Weather Forecast


Hancock Football team loses home opener to Wheaton

by Coach Matt Hone

On Friday, September 11, the Hancock Owl football team had their home opener against the Wheaton Warriors. The Owls fell in defeat 54 - 12 to the high powered Warriors. The first quarter was a close, hard fought battle. Hancock threw an interception on their first possession allowing Wheaton to take over on the Owls 40 yard line. Wheaton would open the scoring on a 30 yard touchdown pass followed by a successful two point conversion to set the score at 8-0. The Owls would respond on the next possession by driving the ball 76 yards. Jake Ascheman capped the drive for the Owls as he rushed for a touchdown from four yards out. The two point conversion attempt failed and Wheaton held the lead 8 - 6 as the first quarter ended.

The second quarter belonged to Wheaton as Hancock would fall into a hole they couldn't get out of. Wheaton scored first on a 35 yard touchdown pass followed by another successful two point conversion driving the score to 16 - 6. The Owls were forced to punt on their next possession and Wheaton once again respond with a 70 yard touchdown pass for their third score of the night. The Warrior two point conversion failed putting the score to 22-6.

Hancock couldn't handle a squib kick on the following kick off and Wheaton would once again take control of the ball on the Hancock 37 yard line. Wheaton punched in another touchdown on a five yard run and along with another two point conversion, and had now taken control of the game with just a few minutes before halftime. The Owls wrapped up the half by taking the ball down the field for a touchdown. Austin Steege completed a ten yard pass to Brendon Foss in the back of the end zone. The two point attempt failed on an interception by the Warriors, and the teams went into half with a score of 30 - 12 in favor of Wheaton.

The Owl defense was able to stop Wheaton to begin the third quarter. The Owls went on a long drive that began at their own five yard line but stalled on the Wheaton 35 yard line. Wheaton's ball control offense would take over and wear down both the Owls and the clock in the second half. Wheaton would have the only score in the third quarter as they added another ten yard touchdown run and two point conversion setting the score to 38-12. The Warriors picked off the Owls for the third time on the evening to end the third quarter and set themselves up for the fourth.

Following the interception, Wheaton scored again on a 20 yard touchdown run to begin the fourth. The successful two point conversion pushed the score to 46 - 12. As both teams began to substitute younger players, Wheaton added the final score of the game making it a final of 54 - 12. "Too many turnovers by us, too many big plays by Wheaton," stated Coach Hone. Once again the Owls had their bright spots, just not enough for the win. Wheaton goes to 1-1 on the season and Hancock drops to 0-2. Hancock will next travel to CAHN on September 18 for a 7 p.m. game.