Weather Forecast


Late rally propels Cougars

University of Northwestern defense man, Josh Wolderich, trips up Matthew Bennis going for the ball in an aggressive match up last Saturday afternoon in Morris, ending in a 1-1 tie.

The University of Minnesota, Morris men’s soccer team get a win and a tie in Upper Midwest Athletic Conference action, defeating North Central 3-0 and tying with Northwestern 1-1 at home last weekend and earned a spot in the UMAC Championship by beating Northwestern  in St. Paul earlier this week.

UM-Morris 3, North Central 0

UM-Morris stood firm on Friday, November 1, in a victory over North Central 3-0.

To put the Cougars on the board, Momodou Jallow scored on a cross by Willie Wachutka. Just over a half hour later, Michael Ward found Ebrima Badgie, in the box, who flicked the ball home. In a misplay by the defense, Ward scored again, putting Cougars up 3-0.

The second half was quiet, but Morris maintained in control of the game. The Cougars finished the match with a 25-3 shot advantage over the Rams. This Cougar shutout set up for a showdown with Northwestern.

UM-Morris 1, Northwestern 1

With the second seed in the UMAC on the line, the Cougar's hosted Northwestern on Saturday, November 2.  Both teams played tough and physical with a total of 19 fouls on the Eagles and 14 on the Cougars.  The match went into overtime tied at one and it stayed that way for the duration.

In the first half, the Eagles would get on the board first and hold a 1-0 lead heading into the half.

UM-Morris would respond in the second half, Matthew Bennis would get a pass from Badgie and kicked it into the net to tie the game up at 1-1.  The game would then head into overtime, and even double overtime, but neither team was able to get another goal and the game ended in a tie.

UM-Morris 2, Northwestern 1

It looked bleak for the Cougars, who were trailing 1-0 late in the second half. However, UM-Morris found a way to earn a spot in their seventh straight UMAC Championship with a 2-1 win over Northwestern.

Northwestern scored a goal in the 15th minute to take a 1-0 lead over the Cougars. Shane Coleman, the Eagles goalie, had six saves in the first half.

UM-Morris was unable to break through until the 79th minute when Shingo Yamane connected with Devin Chuba, who found a way to tie the match. In the 85th minute, Austin Keller found Badgie, who scored his 10th goal of the year to give UMM the 2-1 lead.

The Cougars held onto the 2-1 lead for final five minutes of the match to pick up the win. UM-Morris will take on St. Scholastica in Duluth Saturday, November 9