Weather Forecast


This time Cougars fall in OT

 A week after winning in overtime the Cougars fell 24-21 to the Crown College Storm in overtime. The Cougars grabbed a quick 21-0 lead but could not maintain the lead throughout the whole game.

The Cougars struck first on a 15 yard pass play as Caleb  McLaren hit Tyler Peterson. The drive was set up nicely by first down screen pass to Leandro Dower and then a 32 yard run by Dustin Spohn as well. Prior to the drive, Shane Johnson blocked a 23 yard field goal attempt by the Storm. The Morris defense forced a Storm punt on the following drive and took advantage when McLaren hit Brendon Foss on a 19 yard touchdown pass to complete a five play, 69 yard drive. McLaren finished the first quarter with 96 passing yards.

Minnesota Morris scored on their third straight drive to make it 21-0, halfway through the second quarter. McLaren hit Roumy Desir on 31 yard slant play to complete an 8 play 83 yard drive. The Storm got on the board late in the second quarter thanks to a nine play, 74 yard drive. The Cougars blocked the extra point and took a 21-6 lead in to the halftime break.

McLaren finished first half 14-21 for 188 yards and three touchdowns; he also had 45 yards on the ground. Desir had four catches for 60 yards and a touchdown. Cody Hickman had a sack and seven tackles in the first 30 minutes of play. Morris out gained the Storm 257-170 in the half.

Crown was forced to punt on their first drive of the second half and the Cougars took over with 11:28 on the clock. On the ensuing drive the Cougars took the ball down to the 19 yard line but missed the 36 yard field goal attempt. A couple Cougar penalties allowed the Storm to drive into the red zone on the next possession. On first and goal from the four yard line Crown ran the ball over the goal line to cut the lead to 21-14 after a successful two point conversion.

Leading by seven early in the fourth quarter McLaren miss handled a snap and the Storm took control at the Cougars 39 yard line. Crown tied the game on a 39 yard touchdown run up the middle with 4:48 left in the fourth. Both teams had a possession in the final five minutes but could not score.

The Storm won the toss and chose to play to defense in overtime and it worked out as they picked off McLaren on the first play of the overtime session. Crown quickly drove to the 11 yard line but stalled out and had to attempt a 21 yard field goal. Kurt Fickle would convert and the Storm walked out of Big Cat with a 24-21 win.

Hickman finished the night with 20 tackles defensively for the Cougars but it was not enough.

Morris will head out on the road for the next two weeks as they will take on Martin Luther and St. Scholastica before returning home to face MacMurray in the season finale.