Weather Forecast


Cougar men split home soccer matches

The University of Minnesota, Morris men’s  soccer team split a pair of home matches last weekend.  They beat Concordia Moorhead on Friday, Sept. 6 2-0 before falling 1-0 to Hamline University on Sunday, Sept. 8.

Hamline 1


It was a physical match on Sunday afternoon and unfortunately the Cougars found themselves on the wrong side of a 1-0 loss to Hamline University. The lone goal came in the 23rd minute for the Pipers, who racked up 15 shots.

Morris had a few chances in the first half but a pair of left footed shots were hit softly and saved by the Hamline keeper. The Hamline goal was scored when a weak shot found its way to the foot of Gilbert Ghong who flicked the ball over a charging Matthew Yost.

The match remained physical in the second half as both teams had chances to score. The Cougars' Michael Schuweiler had the best chance to even the match when he struck a ball that headed toward the near post. The Pipers' keeper was equal to the task as he got his right hand down in time to snatch the ball and keep the Cougars off the board. UMM pushed for a goal late but came up short as they fell 1-0.


Concordia Moorhead 0

Morris scored early and late in a big 2-0 win over Concordia Moorhead. It was hot on the field and both teams felt the heat throughout the match. William Wachutka and Matthew Bennis scored for the Cougars.

Concordia had the first chance on goal early but could not finish and that trend continued during the match for the Cobbers.

Ebrima Badgie just missed a chance in the third minute as his shot seemed to roll across the goal line and then out of play. In the 13th minute Michael Schuweiler hit a ball that struck off the crossbar but bounced right to Wachutka, who finished the ball off giving the Cougars the lead. Badgie almost doubled the lead in the 37th minute but the Cobber goalie came up huge with a save pushing the ball wide. There was a flurry in front of the Cobber net in the 39th minute as Dario Cervantes headed a ball that was blocked and then Anthony Ceroll tried to volley the ball but it went high over the crossbar.

The game settled down for a while in the second half as the Cougars tried to keep their 1-0 lead. The Cougars put the pressure back on in the final twenty minutes and were rewarded in the 83rd minute. Trent Holmes took a goal kick and Badgie chested the ball down to Bennis. Bennis broke free on the net and put the ball low out of reach of the goal keeper giving UMM the 2-0 lead.

The Cobbers put some pressure on late but the Cougars kept them off the scoreboard as Jacob Borash picked up the clean sheet. Borash stopped four shots on the way to his shutout.