Weather Forecast


Highway 12 east of Ortonville open

The Minnesota Department of Transportation opened Highway 12 east of Ortonville today. Highway 12 has been closed at this location since early April due to flooding.

The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol urge motorists to drive with caution as flooding continues to affect area highways in west central Minnesota.

The following state highways in west central Minnesota are currently open but conditions can change rapidly. Motorists should use caution when approaching the following areas:

* Highway 225 north of Highway 34 at Guyles Road in Becker County. Open to traffic, watch for water on the roadway.

* Highway 108 just west of Dent in Otter Tail County. Open to traffic, watch for water or debris on the roadway.

* Highway 28 just east of Barry in Big Stone County. Open to traffic, watch for water on the roadway.

Every flood is dangerous to motorists. If you must travel in the west central Minnesota area, follow these safe driving practices (source: Federal Emergency Management Agency

* Expect the unexpected - flash floods can occur anytime, anywhere.

* Flooding can knock out bridges, undercut highways and clog roads with mudslides and debris.

* Mn/DOT will identify which roads are closed and warn motorists of potential pavement break up or soft shoulders that could give way. Drivers are warned not to drive around barricades and to check the state's traveler information Web site or call 5-1-1 for road conditions, closures and alternate routes.

* Do not drive into flooded areas.

* If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.

* Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.

* A foot of water will float many vehicles.

* Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles and pick-ups.

* Log on to for North Dakota current road conditions and for South Dakota current road conditions.

For updated information, call 511 or click on when traveling in any area of the state where potential flooding conditions exist. For weather and flood warnings, go to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Web site or listen to NOAA weather radio or local radio stations.