Weather Forecast


Stevens County included in Obama disaster declaration

By Don Davis

State Capitol Bureau

ST. PAUL -- President Barack Obama has declared 20 Minnesota counties -- including Stevens County -- major disaster areas, making federal aid available to help areas affected by spring flooding.

The counties have sustained at least $10.8 million in damage.

Some federal aid comes in the form of money paid to state and local governments, and some nonprofit groups, for work done to prevent 2011 flooding or to repair or replace disaster-damaged facilities. The disaster declaration also provides funds to help prevent future floods.

Dayton said that the federal funds would cover 75 percent of covered costs and he will ask the Legislature to provide the remaining 25 percent.

Other counties in the Obama disaster declaration are Big Stone, Blue Earth, Brown, Carver, Chippewa, Clay, Grant, Lac qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lyon, McLeod, Nicollet, Redwood, Renville, Scott, Sibley, Traverse, Wilkin and Yellow Medicine.

Don Davis reports for Forum Communications Co.