Tiger Cub Beat
An old Cherokee told his grandson: “My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, and resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy, and truth.”
The boy thought about it, and asked, “Grandfather, which wolf wins?”
The old man quietly replied, “The one you feed.”
This story from old says much about the way we live our lives. I recently read an interesting article commenting on this tale and have posted it on my website under the link – The One You Feed. I would encourage you to take a look.
Please note that Tuesday, April 30, is the deadline to complete a special considerations request for your child. The form can be found on my website [First go to the district web site, then click on elementary, then on PRINCIPAL, and finally choose the Special Considerations link]; you can also pick up a copy in the elementary office. Multiple factors are involved in creating class lists. While your input is valuable, it is only one piece of information used in making a final decision – and, of course, know that a request is just that. It does not guarantee a certain placement. Only under extenuating circumstances will any request be opened if not turned in by the April 30 deadline.
We have moved several of the dates for grades 3-6 MCA testing. This will now look different than what is on the school calendar and what I have previously reported. Please check the new testing schedule shown below.
As always, if you have any questions or would just like to visit, please stop in; this is your school.
P.S. Don’t forget Coffee with Ken held from 7:00 – 7:30 a.m. in the school cafeteria the first Friday of each month. This is a time for fellowship, asking questions and getting to know your school a little bit better.
1. School WILL be in session on the following days: Monday, June 3; Tuesday, June 4; Wednesday, June 5.
2. Congratulations to the Morris Area Elementary School sixth grade Math Masters team that placed eighth out of 39 teams in a competition held March 8 in Alexandria. Team members include Teresa Boyd, Ben Giese, Julia Ladner, Lindsey Moser and Acacia Wyckoff. Acacia also placed in the top ten as part of the individual competition. The fifth and sixth grade teams are coached by Nancy Huot.
3. Spring thaw: Our students go outside each day unless Mother Nature decides differently. With the spring thaw comes mud and puddles. Once in a while we have students who slip in the mud or ACCIDENTALLY step in a deep puddle. Please consider sending a change of clothes with your child in case the unexpected happens.
4. STATE TESTING IN APRIL/MAY: All third through sixth grade students should be in attendance on these dates for the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments:
April 22: Grade 3, Reading
April 23: Grade 6, Reading
April 25: Grade 3, Math
April 29: Grade 4, Reading
April 30: Grade 6, Math
May 1: Grade 5, Math
May 6: Grade 4, Math
May 7-8: Grade 5, Reading
May 10: Grade 5, Science
Students are invited for a FREE SCHOOL BREAKFAST on the dates of their grade level test.
5. Morris Area community members are invited to examine and provide input on proposed curricular changes for the subject of career and technical education. This curriculum meeting will be held on Thursday, April 18, 2013, at 5:30 p.m. in the Morris Area High School FACS room. This is part of the district’s annual review cycle.
6. Mark your calendars: The grade one and two music program will be Thursday, April 25. A matinee will be held starting at 1:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall. The evening performance will have grade one starting at 6:30 and grade two at 7:30 p.m.
7. The next dental outreach clinic is April 30 at the Morris Elementary School. Children covered by Minnesota Health Care Programs or Minnesota Medical Assistance are eligible for this free dental care. Appointments must be made in advance by calling 1-320-815-5711.
8. A message from Counselor Tammy Roth: Parents – please check your DVD / VCR libraries for copies of 1,2,3, Magic. If you borrowed a copy, please return it to the MAES office.
9. Morris Area has been awarded three full-time Minnesota Reading Corps members (two K-3 and one PreK) for the 2013-2014 school year. We are fortunate that we have been able to fill these positions in the past and want to continue to be able to provide this unique opportunity for children in the upcoming year as well. If you are interested in applying, please check my website for further information or simply go to www.MinnesotaReadingCorps.org.
10. Continue to check the school website for pertinent information. Among other things, you can view individual teacher web pages (all teachers have their own page) and see the latest Student Authors of the Month. [First go to the district website and click on ELEMENTARY. From there you can choose FACULTY for teacher web pages or PRINCIPAL for all of the rest.
Dates To Remember
April 25: Grades 1-2 spring concert – Matinee at 1:30 p.m. / Grade 1 at 6:30 p.m. / Grade 2 at 7:30 p.m.
April 30: Pre-K Spring Program / Concert Hall