Weather Forecast


News Briefs


Suspect was ordered to stay away from wife

GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. -- The man suspected of shooting two people in a Grand Rapids home Saturday night and then kidnapping his estranged wife at gunpoint had been ordered days earlier to stay away from the woman after stalking her and firing a gun outside their home.

William Levi Payne, 26, was formally served with the Order for Protection on Friday, the day before the shooting.

According to police and prosecutors, Payne on Saturday night went to a home in Grand Rapids where he knew his wife Sarah Payne and a male friend to be, shot the man, Paul Russell Johnson, 32, and his mother, Rosemary Oberg-Johnson, 59, both of Grand Rapids, and then kidnapped his wife before giving up to authorities.

Payne was charged in State District Court in Itasca County on Monday with eight felonies, including two counts of attempted first-degree murder, one count of kidnapping, one count of terroristic threats, two counts of burglary, one count of second-degree assault and one count of violating an order for protection.

Fargo man killed in snowmobile accident

PELICAN RAPIDS, Minn. - A 40-year-old Fargo man died after he lost control of a snowmobile that malfunctioned near here on Christmas Day.

According to the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office, the man had just started the snowmobile about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday and was going to ride it a short distance before allowing it to warm up.

The snowmobile accelerated and the rider fell off, striking his head on a trailer that was parked on the property.

The sheriff's office said in a release that it appears the man lost control of the snowmobile possibly because of a mechanical failure of the throttle.

Jerome Kotalik suffered a traumatic head injury. He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, but the sheriff's office said in a release that it appears Kotalik intended to wear one once he began the longer ride. Helmets were at the scene and on another sled that was running.


Police: Three involved in break-in on Christmas

FARGO - An 18-year-old Fargo man has been charged in a Christmas Day break-in of a pawn shop here.

Myrone Berry Bell faces one count of burglary, a Class C felony, after police said he and two others broke through the window of First National Pawn at 2305 Main Ave. about 2 a.m. Tuesday, according to charges filed Wednesday in Cass County District Court.

According to the police report, officers responded to the shop's alarm, and an employee provided them with video surveillance that showed three black males enter the store through the broken window and then exit through the same window about 30 seconds later. It did not appear the suspects took anything, the report states.

Bell was arrested near the scene after police matched his shoe print to ones found on glass at the shop and in the snow near the store, the report states.

Bell posted bail Wednesday and no longer was in custody, a Cass County Jail attendant said.

Lt. Joel Vettel said a juvenile suspect also is in custody and that police are looking for a "person of interest" considered a third suspect.

Burglar goes in through drive-through window

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- A burglar stole cash from a Grand Forks fast-food restaurant early Wednesday by entering through the drive-through window, according to the police department.

The burglary was reported shortly after 3 a.m. at Hardee's restaurant, 1750 S. Columbia Road.

Police said they do not know how much cash was taken.


Store to close after 114 years

SUPERIOR, Wis. -- Lurye's Furniture, a fixture among Superior's downtown shops for 114 years, is going out of business.

The company announced the closing and a going-out-of-business sale Wednesday.

The store was started in 1898 by Harry Lurye and his sons, Maurice and Edward. The company began by fixing stoves and selling stove parts and secondhand furniture in a 20-by-40-foot space.

The store has remained in the family for five generations, now run by Harold and Anne Grossman and their daughter, Ashley Carlson. The store moved to its present location at 1208 Tower Ave. in 1937.