Weather Forecast


Hancock Looking Back -- 1-6-11


(Taken from the Thursday, Jan. 4, 2001 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Kaleb Koehl, Hancock's 2000 New Year's Baby, will be turning a year old this month. We are now awaiting the birth of Hancock's 2001 New Year's baby.

The area was hit with heavy snowfall and high winds last week which combined on Thursday to blizzard conditions. The West Central Experiment Station reported a total of 5.7" fell here.


(Taken from the Thursday, Jan. 11, 1996 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Hancock and Stevens County had a relatively short wait for the 1996 New Year's Baby to arrive. Ross Anthony Ascheman was born at 11:13 p.m., on January 2, weighing 10 lbs. 13 oz. Ross' parents are Tony and Peggy Ascheman of Hancock.

Matt Zeltwanger is the 1996 Geography Bee champion from Hancock. Runner-up honors went to Elizabeth Rodriguez. Matt will now take a written exam in an effort to qualify for the National Geography Bee.


(Taken from the Thursday, Jan. 7, 1970 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Stephanie Jo Payne has the distinction of being the first child born in Stevens County in 1971. The 6 lb. 12 1/2 oz. girl was born at 11:11 a.m. on January 1 in the Stevens County Memorial Hospital, Morris. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Payne of rural Hancock and is their 11th child.

The weather news is what didn't happen rather than what did occur. The weather bureau forecast a heavy snowfall for this area Sunday, predicting up to 10 inches with blizzard conditions. Fortunately the storm by-passed this area but snarled traffic in the southern part of the state.


(Taken from the Friday, Jan. 17, 1936 issue of the Hancock Record.)

According to the Morris Tribune work has been started n the long-sought Pomme de Terre dam. A WPA crew of 25 men began excavation work last week and it is expected a large crew of men will be kept at work so the project will be completed as early as possible.

The small safe at the Murphy Cafe decided to turn into a savings bank Wednesday night and accordingly refused to open the next morning. The dial and the handle would go around and around but the door just would not open. Whereupon Albert Hendrickson was engaged to do the work of a professional safe cracker and he proceeded to drill a hole in the side of the safe large enough to get a man's hand inside. The money was recovered and the bank deposit book, but the large check book could not be removed. Perhaps the safe just went on a strike though.


(Taken from the Friday, Jan. 6, 1910 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Things are beginning to look serious for the water plant. The repairs for the broken shaft came along all right but one cog wheel had too many cogs and had to be sent back. Being unable to start the engine no water could be forced through the stand pipe to the tank and just to be mean the stand pipe froze. Tuesday Frank Detviler climbed into the tank and found it about half full of water with six inches of ice on top breaking through this he was able to drop a crow bar some ten feet down the stand pipe but no farther. A heating plant or furnace had been rigged up at the foot of the stand pipe and the hot air pipe run inside The sheeting but up to Wednesday noon made no impression on the freeze.