Weather Forecast


Hancock Looking Back 12-16-10


(Taken from the Thursday, Dec. 14, 2000 issue of the Hancock Record.)

After serving eight years as the mayor of Hancock, Ken Grunig conducted his final regular City Council meeting on Monday night.

The Hancock girls basketball team has been rated no. 4 in Class A Minnesota Basketball News preseason rankings. Minnesota Basketball News ranks the Top 15 teams monthly in each class for both boys and girls.


(Taken from the Thursday, Dec. 21, 1995 issue of the Hancock Record.)

A house fire killed a 3 year old Benson boy last week and left his mother hospitalized. Colton Burns was killed and his mother, Carmen Burns, 21, was injured when their Benson home burned Dec. 12. Her other son, Thomas Burns, age 19 months, was not seriously injured.

Fire damaged the Ed and Thelma Wilson home early Friday morning. Ed awakened to the sounds of snapping and crackling in the attic area. He woke up his son, Chuck and discovered they had no lights and the garage was filled with smoke. The Hancock Fire Department was called to put out the fire which was in the attic area. They were able to save the home, but the fire, smoke and water caused considerable damage. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.


(Taken from the Thursday, Dec. 17, 1970 issue of the Hancock Record.)

An attempt was made to break into the Steinbring Oil Co. Sunday night or early Monday morning. Jim Burns, station attendant, discovered the glass in the front door smashed when he reported for work about 7:30 o'clock Monday morning. However, the would-be thieves failed to open the door since it can only be unlocked with a key and not by an inside latch or catch.

David E. Joos of Hancock had an average of 42.3 pounds of milk and 1.6 pounds of butterfat for his herd of 27 cows to top the Swift County Dairy Herd Improvement Association.


(Taken from the Friday, Dec. 27, 1935 issue of the Hancock Record.)

William Mesenbrink, for years one of the most respected residents of Horton Township and of this community, passed away at his home in Morris last Saturday morning at half past eight, death being due to bronchial pneumonia, after a several days illness.

While on the way home with a truck load of reinforcing material from Peoria last week Wednesday, the Schmidgall big truck had a smash up that just missed being fatal for Henry Schmidgall, the owner. Together with his son Wayne and his nephew Jake, they had reached a point near Waverly, Iowa, when in making a short, sharp turn, the semi-trailer missed the end of a culvert and went into a chuck-hole, the trailer tearing loose from the front of the truck. Jake Schmidgall was driving at the time and Henry was asleep when the truck smashed. Jake and Wayne both stayed in the cab but Henry was thrown out and landed just in front of the trailer.


(Taken from the Friday, Dec. 15, 1910 issue of the Hancock Record.)

A small blaze in the rear of Klein's meat market called out the fire department Tuesday afternoon. The blaze was extinguished without much damage and it is a lucky thing it was as the post office and the John Atz residence would have been too close for comfort. Just how the fire started is something of a mystery as there was no fire in the smoke house near where the blaze started and had not been for nearly a week.

All the new phones mentioned a week or two ago are now in and you can call up the post office and find out where the letter is that you ought to have received six weeks ago.