Weather Forecast


Looking Back 7-29-10


(Taken from the Thursday, July 27, 2000 issue of the Hancock Record.)

After serving as the Hancock Police Chief for nine years, Mike Iverson submitted his resignation at a special council meeting held Monday night. Iverson will be accepting a position in the police department in Wells, in Faribault County.

A simple four letter word is starting to bring hope and excitement for 10-year-old Corey Ascheman and his family. The word "home" is starting to enter the conversations between Corey and medical personnel at Shriners Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio where Corey remains a patient in the burn unit.


(Taken from the Thursday, Aug. 3, 1995 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Safe bicycle driving certificates were awarded to Nathan Holleman and Mitchell Grunig by Hancock Police Chief Mike Iverson. The boys have been observed by Iverson obeying traffic rules, using proper hand signals and have been an example to their peers in using safe bicycle driving practices.

Rick Rollman and Laurie Eystad were married Sunday afternoon. A unique aspect of the wedding was that the bride knew nothing about it until 3 1/2 hours before the ceremony was to take place. The entire wedding was planned by Rick and Laurie's family.


(Taken from the Thursday, July 30, 1970 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The weatherman has established a weekend pattern. For the past three weekends strong winds and heavy rains have resulted in damage to farm buildings and crops. The latest storm, about eight o'clock Sunday evening, came out of the west. At a farm owned by Kenneth Zeltwanger west of Hancock, the wind ripped off a section of the roof on the southwest corner of a barn and slammed it into the top of the silo.


(Taken from the Friday, Aug. 9, 1935 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Monday night a sneak thief entered the residence of Rev. Hempeck and stole his billfold, which he had left on the table when he changed clothes. The family slept in the trailer cabin standing out in the yard and the thief was evidently someone who knew of this fact.

Wanda, the 5-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Pillen of Synnes township, narrowly escaped serious injury or possible death when she got in the path of a grain binder her father was operating on their farm Tuesday morning.

Mr. Pillen was cutting grain near the grove on the farm. The little girl was warned to stay out of the field but childlike, when she saw her father coming around the field she ran to meet him and then, possibly fearing a reprimand, hid in the grain as he approached. Mr. Pillen failed to see her as she crouched down and the platform of the binder failed to quite clear the girl. A sickle guard caught her arm, inflicting a severe cut, and a cord in one leg was severed by the sickle. Wanda was brought to the hospital to have the wound treated, but returned home the next day and is recovering nicely.


(Taken from the Friday, July 29, 1910 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Cutting on many farms will be finished this week if the present good weather continues. The season is peculiar in that never before have we seen so many fields ripe and ready for the binder standing untouched. It would seem as though many of the farmers had kept busy with haying up to the last minute and then the fields were a little ahead of them. For the most part the prediction is made that the crops will be very good, a number of the farmers telling us they would have the best crop, particularly wheat, they had ever raised in Minnesota.

Up at Morris a hobo went into an attorney's office and among other small articles stole his sack of tobacco. On trial the judge asked him which he preferred, sixty days straight in the jail or half that time and smoke the tobacco. He asked for the sixty days saying that he was drunk or he would never have taken the tobacco. It don't pay to drink in Morris - or anywhere else.