Weather Forecast


Hancock Looking Back 6-2-10


(Taken from the Thursday, June 1, 2000 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Corey Ascheman was moved on Tuesday to a special facility in Cincinnati, Ohio. The facility is a Shriners Hospital with a burn unit specializing in the type of care Corey will need for the next few months. He was transferred Tuesday by plane and joined by his parents, Sonia and Larry, and sister, Jessica, at the hospital.

Mary Ann Scharf will be hanging up her Extension hat on June 30. We can truly say the office will not be the same without Mary Ann around.


(Taken from the Thursday, June 8, 1995 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The Benson-Hancock softball team finished their season in second place of Section 3A. The Hancock baseball team captured the sub-section championship last week and qualified for section competition. Their first section game was Thursday when Pierz ended Hancock's advancement.


(Taken from the Thursday, June 4, 1970 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The gas war that began in West Central Minnesota recently made its presence felt in Hancock on Thursday. At that time local stations reduced their price 9¢ from 34.9¢ for regular to 25.9¢ and from 38.9¢ for ethyl to 29.9¢. This was in keeping with gas prices in Morris.

John Swank, special policeman on duty in Hancock Friday evening, received bruises and cuts on his face, hands and knees when struck by a car shortly after nine o'clock that evening. The incident occurred after John Swank had asked to see the driver's license of David Wilson, formerly of Hancock. Wilson who had just backed his 1965 Chevrolet away from the curb in front of the liquor store, replied he didn't have it with him. At this point Wilson and his woman passenger changed seats and, according to Swank, she started to drive away, turning to the left. The side of the vehicle struck Swank, sending him sprawling onto the pavement. But the car didn't stop. Chief of Police Curtis Wiese along with special officer Jerry Chamberlain joined Swank in searching for the couple but they couldn't be found.


(Taken from the Friday, June 14, 1935 issue of the Hancock Record.)

We have seen many different kinds of a ball game but the game with Cyrus was altogether different from anything before in our life. Just 19 of the Orphans walked out there and slammed out a high foul or fly and every last one of them fell right into the hand of a fielder. Two of them struck out, five were thrown out at first base and one at second base and the ball game was over with a score of 5 to 0 in favor of Cyrus and the Orphans knocked off the top round of the ladder.


(Taken from the Friday, June 3, 1910 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The main thing in life is don't get in a rush. Keep cool. We were in a hurry to see the comet last April and hopped out of bed several mornings at 4 a.m. and it was so cloudy we could not see a thing. Now you can see the comet any old night from 9 to 11 and it has a big tail stuck on behind. We also saw the eclipse of the moon a week or so ago while smoking our evening pipe. Don't fret. Don't rush.

Andrew Anderson and family who left last fall for Los Angeles, California, expecting to spend a year or so there for the benefit of the health of their daughter, returned here some ten days ago. While far from well the girl is slowly regaining her health after an operation for appendicitis performed by Dr. George Thorpe. Andrew says California climate is all right, but Minnesota is -- well they came back before they intended to.