Weather Forecast


Hancock Looking Back 1-7-10


(Taken from the Thursday, January 6, 2000 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Michael Milander, Hancock's 1999 New Year's Baby, will be passing on the title to a new baby soon. This year's baby will have a double honor as the first baby of the year along with the first Hancock baby of the millennium.


(Taken from the Thursday, January 12, 1995 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The first meeting of 1995 for the Hancock City Council began with the swearing in of Mayor Ken Grunig for another two year term and of two new councilmen, Terry Hausmann and Gene Schmidgall for four year terms.

The third organizational meeting of the new snowmobile club in Morris will be held on Jan. 18, at the Sunwood Inn. The last meeting had 50 members present.


(Taken from the Thursday, January 8, 1970 issue of the Hancock Record.)

Alert police work by Audrey Pedersen, Hancock Chief, foiled a burglary of the local municipal liquor store early Wednesday morning.

About one o'clock Chief Pedersen became suspicious of a car cruising about the streets and down the alleys. He called Jerry Chamberlain, street commissioner, for assistance and the two men discovered a glass panel in the front door of the liquor store broken. Next they detected a man running down the street. He disappeared into an alley back of the liquor store. When a search failed to turn up the suspect the fire department was summoned and Stevens County sheriff's office notified.

About this time Pedersen and Chamberlian attempted to stop a car, with just one occupant, and believed to have been an accomplice of the suspect. When the driver failed to heed their warning and picked up speed to escape, three shots were fired into the fleeing automobile. But he escaped.

The search party failed to locate the man on foot who was roaming the town in light clothing in 14 below zero weather.

The burglar failed to gain entry to the liquor store with the only damage being the broken glass pane in the front door.


(Taken from the Friday, January 11, 1935 issue of the Hancock Record.)

A young man of 23 has come to the end of the road of crime and was sentenced to life imprisonment Saturday last. He is Peter Orescanin and his two companions are both under arrest and facing a life sentence. He pleaded guilty and implicated the other two.

In his confession Orescanin told how, to keep their hand in and get a little cash to go on, they had held up oil stations at Ortonville, Renville, Marshall and Hancock. This latter deal was the hold up of the Haugen Oil station here several weeks ago in which the robbers stated they secured $2. They also held up a hotel at Canby and a drug store at Glenwood and then the bank.

All three are young men and it looks like the comparatively small sum they obtained in their several raids is going to be mighty small pay for life terms in state prison.


(Taken from the Friday, January 7, 1909 issue of the Hancock Record.)

The Firemen's masquerade Friday evening was just what the boys intended it should be, the best masquerade ever given in the town. The boys took in $108.50 and after paying all expenses had something like $60 left to put away for a rainy day.

Lou Eckstein and brother unloaded here Thursday one of the prettiest specimens of horse flesh to be seen around here. It is a black 2-year-old stallion and when the colt gets his growth he gives promise of weighing over 1900 lbs.