Weather Forecast


Big comeback not enough for Tiger win

Morris Area rallied for seven runs to tie the score in the sixth inning, but gave up two in the seventh to drop the final regular season game to Lac qui Parle Valley Thursday night at Chizek Field.

The Tigers finish the regular season 10-10 with the No. 3 seed in Section 6A. Morris Area hosts the sub-section tournament Thursday. The Tigers need a home victory Tuesday night against No. 6 Brandon-Evansville to advance to play Thursday afternoon.

The Tigers got started at 7:46 p.m. and played under the lights at Chizek with little wind for a change.

The Eagles scored seven runs (four earned) through six innings on seven hits, two Tiger errors, and six walks.

Down 7-0 in the bottom of the sixth, the Tigers rallied for seven runs on eight hits. Nate Gades got two RBIs on a base hit, high fly to deep left. Tanner Rohloff had an RBI on an infield groundout. Brady Valnes beat out an infield single for another RBI. Then Eric Riley doubled to put runners on second and third. Tyler Hansen got two RBIs when his infield single was gloved on a dive by the short stop and Riley scored all the way from second, even though the ball never left the infield.

Hansen stole second and scored on Chris Boettcher's double to make it 7-7.

Dustin Sauter singled, but Boettcher had to hold at third. Sauter stole second. The inning ended when Gades hit a fly which was caught in left field.

After an exciting sixth inning, the end of the game was anti-climactic. The Eagles scored two in the seventh on no hits, two walks, and two Tiger errors.

The Tigers went down 1-2-3 in the seventh.

Hansen and Sauter deserved a better fate, striking out a combined eight in seven innings.

"This was a great team effort and comeback by our kids," said coach Lyle Rambow. "We're gearing up for playoffs and we used 14 players in the game with many contributions.

"Down 7-0 it is hard to come back," he added. "Unfortunately, our mistakes ended up costing us the game, but our team is really improving.

"No one on our bench gave up until the game was over," Rambow said.