Weather Forecast


'John Doe' assault suspect ID'd

A man listed in some court documents as "John Doe" was charged with three counts of domestic assault in Stevens County District Court on Monday. The man listed his name as Onofre Sanchez Marquez, but law enforcement still is working on a positive identification.

By Tom Larson

Sun Tribune

A man charged with assaulting his wife at a Morris hotel has been positively identified, his age determined, and he will be back in Stevens County District Court on Dec. 22.

Onofre Sanchez, 26, was charged Dec. 1 with three counts of domestic assault, including strangling his wife until she lost consciousness, during three days in late November.

Sanchez initially was identified as John Doe in court documents while authorities sorted through a list of aliases and determined his identity.

Sanchez was arraigned in Stevens County District Court on Wednesday and waived entering a plea. He is schedule to appear in court again Dec. 22, according to Stevens County Attorney Charles Glasrud.

Sanchez remains in custody, and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement department has a hold on Sanchez and could deport him after the legal process is completed, Glasrud said.

Sanchez was arrested with three photo IDs, all of which contained his photograph and different names. The complaint listed five aliases.

Sanchez was assigned a public defender and is being held on $20,000 unconditional bail or $15,000 conditional bail. One condition is that he have no contact with the woman involved in the incident.

He is charged with domestic assaults over three days from Nov. 24-26 at a Morris hotel.

The woman suffered from what police described as ligature marks on her neck and a bite on her arm.

The domestic assault charge involving strangulation carries a penalty of three years in prison and/or a fine of $5,000.

The two misdemeanor charges of inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm carry penalties of 90 days and/or a $1,000 fine.

According to the complaint against John Doe, at about 9:06 p.m. on Nov. 26, a hotel employee reported to police that Doe was seen pulling a woman up the hotel stairs by her hair and that he had the woman in a headlock.

Outside a room, police heard a woman crying, and Doe met officers at the door. Once inside, officers saw a woman by a bed, covering her face with her hands and crying. When officers approached the woman, Doe attempted to pull away from an officer.

The woman identified Doe by one of his aliases and told police that the couple were married on Nov. 17. A marriage license was recovered along with Doe's photo IDs.

The woman also told officers that on Nov. 24, Doe had choked her until she was unconscious at the hotel, and that on Nov. 25, Doe had bitten her on the arm and buttocks.