Extension Beef Cow-Calf Days to be held in early February
The University of Minnesota Extension Beef Team will host the 2010 Minnesota Beef Cow/Calf Days at 10 locations across Minnesota during the weeks of Feb. 2-5 and Feb. 8-12. The winter programs are designed for cow and calf producers.
The programs provide up-to-date information on issues and technologies being used within the beef industry, and create an atmosphere for critical thinking, experiences and discussions.
Each year, topics presented at Cow/Calf Days are selected based on producer surveys from the previous year, and on current issues related to the beef industry.
Five southern location meetings are scheduled Feb. 8-12 as follows:
* Feb. 8, Fish Lake Resort, Mora, 5:30-9:30 p.m., U of M - NCROC, (218) 327-4490
* Feb. 9, Minnewaska House, Glenwood, 9:30-3 p.m., Kandiyohi County Extension, (320) 231-7890
* Feb. 10, Minn. West Comm. & Tech College, Pipestone, 9:30 a.m.- 3 p.m., Pipestone County Extension, (507) 825-6715
* Feb. 11, La Quinta Inn, Rochester, 5:30-9:30 p.m., U of M - NCROC, (218) 327-4490
* Feb. 12, KC Hall, New Prague, 9:30-3 p.m., Le Sueur County Extension, (507) 357-8230
Topics will include:
* Current Beef Team research and education updates, with Extension Beef Team
* What's to know about grazing systems, with (North Only) Russ Mathison - U of M, and (South Only) Paul Peterson - U of M
* The basics and cost of developing heifers, with Dan Larson - Great Plains Livestock Consulting, Inc.
* The economics behind the cow, with (North Only) Lori Weddle-Schott - Extension Beef Team, and (South Only) Ryon Walker - Extension Beef Team
* Panel: Keeping the younger generation in the beef business, with invited speakers and beef producers