Weather Forecast


Timothy Murphy

Funeral services for Timothy Murphy of Cyrus, will be held Friday, July 29, 2011 at 11 a.m. at Assumption Catholic Church in Morris. Father Ronald Schmelzer will be officiating. Visitation will be held Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Pedersen Funeral Home and for one hour prior to services at the church on Friday. Burial will be a private family service in Calvary Cemetery in Morris. Military rites will be provided by the Minnesota Army National Guard Honor Guard.

Timothy Edward Murphy Jr. "Tim" was born at home in Morris on March 29, 1925 to Anna and Timothy Sr. He attended St. Mary's High School through his junior year. Tim played baseball and basketball in high school. His basketball team played in the Minnesota High School State Tournament. Tim was an avid Minnesota Twins and NBA fan.

Tim dropped out of school after 11th grade with plans to serve his country as a pilot during WWII. Tim and a friend hitchhiked to St. Cloud to sign on with the military, only to find out that a high school diploma was required to get a pilot's license; so they turned around and hitchhiked back home. Tim was drafted in 1943 and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. An LST ship in the South Pacific was his new home.

Tim was united in marriage to Shirley Anderson on July 27, 1949; through this union two sons, Bob and Dan, were born. Tim and Shirley raised their sons in Cyrus.

Tim began working at a young age. When he was only 10 years old he started his first job at the Greenhouse in Morris, working for 10 cents an hour. At age 16 he began working at Ryan's Dry Cleaning in Morris. These two jobs influenced Tim throughout his life. He loved flowers/gardening and was meticulous about his laundry. Following military service, Tim joined brother-in-law Walt Boettcher as co-owner of Walt & Tim's Custom Combining; spending from spring until fall harvesting from Texas to Minnesota. Tim retired in 1987. In 2009, he moved to West Wind Village in Morris before becoming a resident of Legacy Living in Morris, where he died on July 27, 2011 at the age of 86 years.