Weather Forecast


Four Hancock women hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning

Four Hancock area women were taken by ambulance to Hennepin County Medical Center Saturday morning due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Whitney Gramm, Jessica Ascheman, Nicole Valnes and Shannon Bosek had been staying at the home where Bosek resides in Hancock.

Just before 10 a.m. on Saturday morning, Bosek woke to the sound of what she thought was the smoke detector battery needing to be changed. She found out quickly that the CO2 light was actually flashing so she awoke the others and they left the house. They called for help. The Hancock First Responders, Hancock Fire Department and the Stevens County Ambulance arrived on the scene. The women were taken to Steven’s Community Medical Center and then all transferred to HCMC. All of them were discharged by Saturday night.

The source for the carbon monoxide was determined to be a plugged vent in the furnace room.

After realizing how fortunate they were while looking back on this experience, the girls hope this is an eye opener for everyone to check their detectors, if not, get some in your homes.