Alexandria man injured in fireworks mishap
A 31-year-old Alexandria man was injured while lighting off fireworks Saturday.
Thomas N. Pierce attempted to light a mortar shell and while holding on to it, the shell ignited and blew up in his face, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
A 9-1-1 caller reported the incident, which happened at Little Mary Circle SW, Alexandria at 10:42 p.m.
The mortar round caused a deep laceration to Pierce's face and scalding injuries to an eye.
He was transported to the Douglas County Hospital where he was treated for his injuries.
Responding agencies included the sheriff's office, North Ambulance and the Holmes City First Responders.